Friday, June 8, 2012

3-D Heart Punch Flowers

Another one of my "duties" as a Design Team member @ Let's Scrap is to provide a tutorial for the members.  Something I may know how to do and can teach others.  My first tutorial is up on the site today.  Click here to view.

Here is it for my followers:
3-D HEART PUNCH FLOWERS

What? Another tutorial for flower making? Yep. They are wildly popular right now.

This is inspired from a pin on pinterest. I decided...oh, I can make those!

Just get out your heart punches. Any size, any shape and start punching. Cardstock works best, but any paper that is two-sided will work and cardstock that is two-toned would be fabulous.

The first punch I used is from Creative Memories. It has two different sized hearts on one punch. This one turned out to be my favorite.


Keep punching. Each flower needs seven hearts.

Using my Stampin Up punch, I was able to get three different sized hearts in with one punch.


Next, you will want to score the hearts down the middle. I tried this two different ways. One with my Martha Stewart Scoring Pad and the other was just a stylus and a metal ruler. I preferred the latter.


After you've scored the hearts (exactly down the middle), fold each of them in half. The score simply gives you a nice clean fold. You could easily skip this part.


Next, comes the assembly. I tried this two ways. One, you put your adhesive on the backside of one-half of the heart. The second way I tried, was a removable adhesive applied to directly to the background paper. I preferred the latter.

When assembling your flower, make sure that they are all going the same way, i.e., all folds to the left or all folds to the right. You want to make sure you line up the points as best as you can.




Once you have them all lined up, if you push down (and flatten them) on the center point, you can see that they are properly in place.


Now comes the fun part. You can add them everywhere you like to your layout, You can use two petals, three petals, a half-flower or a full flower.


They add so much dimension to your layout. Notice that I even used those little tiny heart punches from the Stampin Up punch...great for filler.


I'm so darn happy with the layout. I may choose to frame it instead of smashing it in my scrapbook.

These flowers are showing up everywhere. They are not just for scrapbooking or card making. I've seen them on lampshades, clustered and framed on the wall, and made into other shapes (a big heart). Think about monochromatic. Or white on white would be so elegant and an awesome gift for a wedding.

                 Drum roll, please...here is the finished product:

Pink roses from my 5-year celebration of
being cancer free.
Date:  January 20, 2011
I encourage you to try out this flower tutorial any time you might need a flower for a layout. No sense buying them anymore when you can make them!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will use it!

For printed instructions, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Love everything about this. Just so beautiful. Thanks for a great tutorial. Wishing you a wonderful weekend with a bit of creativity on the side.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    Digistamps4Joy DT Member
    Doing Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant tutorial, Judy (saw it on Let's Scrap). Finally! A flower I can actually make! ;-)

    ReplyDelete